We support the local community through various initiatives including giving preference in employment to persons from the immediate local community who are suitably qualified, whenever a vacancy arises. In addition, the company has constructed a dispensary within its plantation which is managed by a government enrolled nurse and accessible to children of employees as well as those from the neighbouring community.
There is a clear employment policy and terms of employment for all levels of employees are well defined. In line with international labour standards, we do not employ children.
The company is a member of an employers’ association through which it has signed a recognition agreement with the workers’ trade union, Kenya Plantation and Agricultural Workers’ Union (KPAWU). The company has fully implemented all terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) in existence.
The company also contributes towards its employees’ social welfare by providing the following amongst other services:
- A well-stocked medical clinic on site in which all employees and their dependents receive free basic medical treatment.
- Accomodation, potable water and provision of a crèche facility where parents leave their young children to be taken care of free of charge while they work.
- Facilitation of free counselling and other awareness campaigns on areas such as HIV/AIDS and drug abuse
- Occupational safety and health awareness for a healthy and safe workforce in a safe working environment. We believe that a safe and healthy employee is more productive at work while a safe and healthy workplace adds value to the business by saving on unnecessary litigation and insurance premiums when risks of accidents are reduced or prevented. We have a functional Occupational Health and Safety Programme whose implementation is continuously monitored.
- Gender parity – We give equal opportunities in employment, occupation, benefits, in obligations as well as in other social responsibilities. We also promote equality between men and women at all levels as a way of putting gender aspects of human rights into work programs for decent work.
- We prohibit all kinds of sexual harassment and any form of violations of human rights in terms of physical harm, psychological harm, or any suffering to any gender including threats of such acts, coercion, arbitrary deprivation of liberty in workplaces or any other related form of harassment. We also condemn all forms of societal, cultural, customary, racial or religious practices or other forms of prejudices, which can promote gender discrimination at the work place.